Your heating and air conditioning system needs to be properly maintained in order to serve your family well. Proper maintenance through annual service and maintenance appointments at the start of the cooling season and the start of the heating season will bring several benefits to your family and your home, but these appointments are easy to overlook. Here are some reasons why HVAC maintenance is critical to fully enjoying your system throughout its expected lifespan.
Improve the Quality of Your Indoor Air
Indoor air quality problems are a serious risk for your family because the average American spends about 90% of his or her time indoors. If your indoor air is filled with pollutants, it’s a significant problem. When you have your HVAC system regularly maintained, it will be cleaner and help your family will breathe easier. Systems that aren’t cleaned regularly can breed mold and bacteria and send them circulating through your home via your air ducts.
Extend the Life of Your HVAC System
A new HVAC system is a significant investment, and when you invest in maintenance, you help that investment last much longer. In fact, when it’s maintained well, you could increase your system’s lifespan by 25% or more.
Lower Your Energy Bills
At your maintenance appointment, your HVAC technician will take the time to inspect your system thoroughly to ensure that it is running as efficiently as possible. Adjusting problems and cleaning the system inside and out will make it run even more efficiently, and this should lower your monthly energy bills. Since home heating and cooling costs account for about half of your energy expenditure, these are savings worth embracing.
Reduce Emergency Repair Bills
Emergency HVAC repairs almost always cost more than regular maintenance visits, especially if you’re experiencing a total system breakdown. A well-maintained system is far less likely to shut down unexpectedly. Also, when you have a technician in your home at the start of the heating and cooling seasons to inspect your system, you can learn about potential problems that are brewing so you can fix them before they turn into an HVAC emergency.
DIY HVAC Maintenance Tips
You should always schedule professional maintenance twice per year, but you can also prolong the life of your system if you perform routine maintenance tasks throughout the year and treat your heating and cooling system well. Our top maintenance tips include:
- Replace your filter every 90 days or monthly if you have pets
- Remove leaves, twigs, pollen and other debris from the side and tops of outdoor units
- Provide at least two feet of clearance around outdoor air conditioning units and heat pumps
- Inspect insulation on refrigerant lines on a monthly basis
- Shut off water supply to the furnace humidifier in the summer
- Make sure that the attic is properly ventilated to relieve heat buildup
- Replace the humidifier wick filter every other month when in use
- Never close more than 20 percent of your home’s return registers so that the HVAC system is not having to overwork itself
- Replace your carbon monoxide detector’s battery on an annual basis
Call Arronco for HVAC Maintenance in Northern Kentucky
If you are due for HVAC maintenance this spring, the team at Arronco is ready to serve you. We service both residential and commercial HVAC systems as well as geothermal systems. Schedule your maintenance service online today, or call us to learn more about your options.